Monday, April 17, 2017

No prob-llama!

Today's birthday card features this super cute llama from My Favorite Things' Llama Love set. I've had it for months, even had the llama water colored, but not cut out.

I water colored the llama with a combination of Zig Clean Color Real Brush markers and Mission Gold watercolors. My big advice is don't use the cheap children's watercolor paper from W*lm*rt. The color soaked into that paper so fast and spread out so quickly that it was hard to get this little image contained. I had to work a lot drier than I wanted. The only reason I used it was because I thought it would cut easier on the Brother Scan and Cut. I never even got that far since these were the only images on the whole sheet that didn't bleed badly. So, back to fussy cutting, again.

The background "glow" was created with sponge daubers and no-name ink from the dollar bin at Michaels.

The rectangles were cut with a Gina Marie Designs set with an interesting detail that totally can't be seen in the photograph, but is southwestern feeling in real life. It can almost be seen in this photo:

So my next project is to work with this die set to emboss that detail more deeply into the cut pieces. The dies put that detail on both sides of the cut line, but oh-so-faintly.

To complicate matters, I may have messed up my Big Shot last week. I was experimenting with an old Spellbinders frame that never cut well, and shims. I MAY have overdone it. Yikes.

No comments: