Saturday, November 23, 2019

Honoring Mimi by using her craft stash

My mom, Mimi, was an artist and a crafter. After she died in 2000, I took home a lot of her craft stash.

One of the items that had me baffled were card bases with fancy front edges. I'd never seen that kind before, and that was before I got into card making.  The card bases were in their original Jo-Ann's packaging.

Well, DUH, Mimi had cut the edges herself with decorative scissors. How many years did it take me to figure that one out?  About 17 years, that's how long.

This fall I am trying to use up pre-made card bases and since these are at least 20 years old, they must be among the first ones used.

This first card features a sentiment die, some glitter snowflakes, and some red decorative tape.  The tape is a dollar store find.

This card features the pink paper from Michael's called Sugar Blush.  It's one of the 6x6 pads I picked up just after Christmas last year.  The sentiment is a die from Simon Says Stamp, and the gold glitter snowflakes are from My Favorite Things' layered Snowflake Splendor kit from 2 years ago.

This card features the pink paper from Sugar Blush (Michael's), the layered tree from Pretty Pink Posh, and the sentiment from Concord and 9th.  I cut the tree parts from paper I had glittered with glitter gel. I also applied the glitter gel around the edges of the pink panel. 

For each of these cards, I put a strip of patterned paper on the bottom inside, to contrast with Mimi's fancy cut bottom edge.  I've a few more of these card bases to use up, and I will remember Mimi with each and every one I do.  I sure miss her.

No comments: