Sunday, March 31, 2019

Crazy birds from the stash.


I'm sill avoiding any new coloring, but I have had these crazy birds from Tim Holtz in my critter cup for over a year now. I believe they were done with watercolor pencils.

Today's main lesson is buyer beware! I bought the "Happy Birthday" edge die thinking that the greeting would fit across the short edge of an A2 sized card. Nope, when you buy from the dealers directly in China you really need to read the descriptions and do the arithmetic from cm to inches.

Two things. First, now I know that this is probably a stolen design, since the store used photos of this greeting on finished cards that are clearly A2 sized. I hadn't actually seen this design on blogs or elsewhere so I thought I was safe. My bad. I should know that AliExpress dealers don't make their own card samples. We are lucky if they show a photo of the finished cut product if it is an original.

Second, I support artists and designers and would not buy something that I know to be a pirate copy. Now that I know it's a stolen design I won't use it again. Not that it was all that easy to use anyway, given its size.  I will post these cards on the unbranded Facebook group as a warning to others. I do buy dies of basic shapes from them, or designs I am pretty sure are originals (they DO exist, really).

Now I will slink back into my craft room to do something different.

No comments: