Sunday, June 26, 2011

OMG, I can read on the treadmill!



I walk on a treadmill at the gym, 3 or 4 times a week, for about an hour each time. Back in March and April there was usually something on TV (among the 5 channels available on the machine) that was suitably distracting. Now with summer programming we are at boredom central on the old 'mill. I do not want another reason to skip a workout.

I have seen women reading magazines on the ellipticals and on the treadmills, so I thought what the heck, give it a try.

I started with a large print book, which was great, except it was a tiny bit too thick to fit the lipped tray, at least at the beginning of the book. I held it open with a lightweight rubber band, which I had to fiddle with at each page turn. Once I got nearer to the middle of the book, I could just slide the pages under the lip of the tray. Yay for books!

But the coolest thing is the Kindle on the treadmill. Except the fact that I felt the need to go wash my hands after the weight machines and before the 'mill, it was ideal. It didn't shift around and the page turns didn't always require two hands.

Next I will experiment with the Sony 300 reader, since it is smaller. The page turns require a little more focus since the "target" is a spot on the right side of a ring, but all in the name of reducing exercise boredom, right?

No comments: