Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Be more tea, part 2

 Ok, yesterday's tea party went well, but I didn't get to talk about the cup or china after all. The conversation just didn't go there. Oh well.

I looked it up in some reference books, and it appears the mark on the back dates it to 1893. So, if it was ordered in France about the time it was made, it makes it older than I had previously thought. About 120 years old, to be more precise!

I also located the pattern in Arlene Schleiger's book, Two Hundred Patterns of Haviland China (Book II).
All of this is very interesting, but at the end of the day I'll wash the cup and put it away in the china cabinet again, and won't pull it out for quite some time. The only piece of it that gets used often (define "often") is the platter, which is magnificent.

No comments: